Tuesday 20 March 2007

My first socks

About a month ago, I went to London and ended up in Loop with Meg and Jam: it was all Jam's fault, therefore, that I left with more sock yarn than I knew what to do with - and my first set of circular needles. And, look! Socks! Terrible terrible picture, but socks, nonetheless.

Yarn: 100g Colinette JitterBug in Florentina
Needles: Addi circular 2.5mm

I was impressed by how easy it was to pick up the stitches on the heel flap: that had been my biggest fear, after my aborted attempt at the Pippi Kneestockings from Stitch and Bitch - they ended up as legwarmers after being thrown across the room one time too many. But no such problems this time. Hurrah! Many thanks to Jam for talking me through it.

And now I'm addicted. In a fit of 'Stipend: yes, that's for buying yarn with, isn't it?', and despite the fact that I'd only intended to look at the sale yarns, I bought 100g each of Lana Grossa Meilenweit colortweed (in 1001, 1003, and 1004) and Meilenweit Scala (in 6534). Looks like it's socks for the foreseeable, then...

4 comments:

marykmac said...

I was going to suggest a mutual linking, but then I saw you'd linked me already. Hurray and thank you!

felinity said...

Oh man, I had a whole long hilarious comment about other yarn shops in London and blogger ate it. Bah.

In short: socks are ace, aren't they? And next time you come to London you should visit Stash Yarns in Putney.

Meg said...

One of us! One of us! Heee!

I am accumulating sock patterns at a rapid rate. You should have a look on knitty!

Jennifer M. said...

They look really good, considerably better than my first set.

Have you tried any of the other yarns? If you want to maybe have a bash at something that's not plain, magknits.co.uk's jaywalkers are pretty good. Useful design (the bias helps then stay up), not overly complicate and they work well with a lot of different wools.